Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Antonia

We had to have Antonia put down today. She's been having some pretty serious health problems and the things we'd been hoping would help her get better just weren't working. The doc said today that her lungs were full of fluid and she was having a really hard time breathing. There's no way she was going to improve from that, so we made the tough (but hopefully right) decision to just let her go. We tried everything we could to get her better, and didn't let her suffer any longer than we needed to, so I'm really hoping we did right by her. She was my first real pet (aside from various small, caged pets and family-owned animals) and I loved her very much. She always had such a unique personality, and she always loved her daddy. I'm sorry it had to end this way, but it wouldn't be fair to her to keep her alive, struggling for air while we try to force food down her throat every few hours. I have to believe she's better off now.

Anyhow, I wanted to say thanks to everyone who has already expressed condolences. I really appreciate having so many great friends and such a great family. Thanks, everyone.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, Jared and Jenna! That sucks ass, and I know what a hard decision that had to have been.

    Sometimes the ultimate act of love we can make as pet-parents is to know when to let go. I'm sure Antonia thanks you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There really is a point where they're in pain and there's nothing you can do for them. We would've kept force-feeding her if that would've helped, but her little body just finally shut down on her.

    Anyhow, it sucks, but I think we did the best we could. Thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete