Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Cheddar Bay Biscuits (or muffins)

So, if you've been to Red Lobster, you know about their biscuits.


They may well be the best thing about the restaurant. If you go onto redlobster.com you'll be able to find recipes for a lot of their food, but the biscuits are specially mentioned as being a secret recipe. Well, after some research and some experimentation, I have some that are extremely close if not perfect. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
2 cups Bisquick
1 pinch kosher salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (more to taste)
2 tbsp butter (or margarine if you like DYING FROM CANCER)
1/4 tsp garlic powder (or fresh garlic if you're a legit cook or something)
1/4 tsp parsley flakes (I don't really use these much, but you can if you like them)
1/4 tsp Old Bay seasoning

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400ยบ

2. Combine Bisquick, buttermilk, cheese, garlic and salt in medium bowl (I used my new mixer)

3. Divide dough into 12 portions and spoon onto a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. You can also spoon it up into a little mini-muffin tin which is what I did the second time I made these. Your cooking time will change, but these little guys pack a big flavor punch. having a smaller serving size is kind of nice.

4. Bake for 18-20 minutes for the big biscuits, 10-11 minutes for the mini muffins. You don't want to cook these for too long, as the texture will get too bready and not biscuity enough. Pull them out right as they start to brown very slightly.

5. Combine butter and Old Bay in a bowl, melt butter

6. Brush this mixture onto the biscuits when you take them out of the oven

7. Sprinkle with parsley if you want

Okay, here's the way this whole thing really goes down. The original recipe I found didn't have the salt in there and they tasted a little too bland. The salt livens them up. I may even recommend a little more after I experiment a bit. Also, the original recipe suggests putting the garlic on top of the biscuits instead of inside. I don't like that as much either. The recipe also doesn't include old bay which I think is criminal. So there we go. This is how this got modified to my liking.

I didn't take any pictures last night when I made these, but I definitely will next time I make them and I'll update this post. So far, these have been a huge hit with everyone. Let me know if you have questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment