Thursday, May 21, 2009

A festival of awesome

Tuesday, as always, was a festival of awesome for the Gentlemen Beekeepers. We got to stay together this time, as there were three teams total. We still won, of course, but the really interesting part was getting to play in the back room. It's like a smoking lounge or something, and it was just much cooler and cozier than playing out in the main area of the bar. We also finished the night with a James Lipton-esque sort of interview thing. For the transcript, head to the Geeks Who Drink Blog. In case you're keeping track, this is indeed our seventh week in a row of getting first place. One week we got first and second place. That's just silly.

Last night, I went to my second jiu-jitsu class. It wasn't as physically tiring as the last class, but there was a lot of focus on technique. I can say that I'm hooked. I really want to keep going, so I plan to go tonight and sign up for something more permanent. I'm still incredibly impressed with the quality of the teachers there. They're very calm, kind and knowledgeable. I'm constantly amazed at how much there is to know about rolling around on the ground. Everything they're teaching is something that could realistically come up in a fight, and knowing multiple options from a given position lets you respond at the appropriate level based on your situation.

That's about it, really. I'll keep you guys informed if anything new comes up.

2 comments:

  1. Jiu Jitsu, huh? I missed a lot while I was gone. I've always wanted to try martial arts, but I think I racka da disciprine, if you know what I'm saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to take Hawaiian Kenpo in high school and really loved it, but then my sensei moved away and I went to college, so I didn't really continue with it. I did get into fencing and medieval sword fighting for a while, then started training with some other friends a few years back on an informal basis, but I really missed the structure of a real martial arts school. This one is just my speed, too. It's intense enough for me to get a good workout, but everyone is still really laid back and friendly.

    ReplyDelete