Monday, March 2, 2009

Spotty transmissions

Okay, I think I've gone into this a bit, but here's the full scoop. We had a couple of layoffs at my company, and one of them was doing daily cash application. For those of you who haven't worked in accounting, specifically project-based accounting, cash application is your way of keeping track of which invoices have been paid by your clients. Every check that comes in isn't just applied to the client's total, it has to be applied to the specific invoice so that you can keep track of who is and isn't being paid. This is kind of a pain, but it makes it much nicer when you realize you've been short paid and you need to know why. However, with a company like ours, each person we place at a client site is a project and each week of their labor is an invoice. We've got several hundred folks out there working for several dozen clients at any given time. We get checks every day and they all have to be broken down into the employee who worked and when they worked so they can be applied to the appropriate invoice in our system. For clients who actually receive a copy of our invoice through e-mail or on paper, they can list the invoice numbers on the check and everything's nice and easy. For a majority of our clients, however, we are auto-paid. This means our employees fill out their timecard in the client's timekeeping system and we are sent a check based on that entry. Since the client never sees our invoice, the best we can hope for is a name and a date. This then has to be matched to the invoice we created internally for that person for that week. Fun, eh?

Now that you know what fills my day since the shift of responsibilities, keep in mind that I'm still responsible for doing all of the things I was doing before. So I still have weekly and biweekly reports to run, commissions to track and calculate, custom reports to create in one of our various systems, IT issues to fix for my coworkers, maintenance on the programs I've written over the years, and any special accounting projects my bosses need me to do. Since work is where I do all my computering, this is why I haven't been as good about updating recently.

However, I'm taking the time now to keep everyone updated on what goes on in this wonderful world that is my life. had a great time at the party for j-Long's going away on Friday, so that's cool. Adj and I have developed some sort of bizarre charades-dependent telepathy, it seems. We actually got "Homer Simpson" and "The Hundred Years War." That's right, folks. I was pretty proud. I was also more than a little impressed with our friend Jenny's ability to guess acurately stuff that we were acting out rather miserably. I pulled "Albert Einstein" and was left trying to show big fluffy hair and smoking a pipe (an activity I'm not even certain Einstein was into) but she got it anyhow. Many props to her.

Saturday was our supers game which is always a blast. We got to roleplay some wonderful super-hero pun-filled banter, so that's pretty awesome. Always a fun time had by all. Jenna and I also played some racquetball in the morning, which was very fun. Only our second time going, but she's showing good progress. It's a game where experience makes a big difference. You can be in great shape and tucker yourself out chasing the ball all over but an old guy who's played forever can end the game not even breathing hard because he moves efficiently. So we'll keep going and practicing so she gets more court time and I think we'll have some really good games before too long.

Sunday was a good day too, but pretty calm. We went grocery shopping, I played some Fallout, we played racquetball for about an hour and a half again. jenna's really getting good! Her serves are much more consistent now and she's figuring out how to move around the court. A few more sessions and I think she'll be feeling very comfortable with moving around and knowing how to move to meet the ball.

Unfortunately, the weekend was rather tainted with worry and sadness about Jenna's little brother, who was in the hospital after a fairly nasty car crash. He was hurt pretty badly, but seems to have stabilized now and is recovering. Our thoughts and prayers are definitely with you, Anthony.

No comments:

Post a Comment