Friday, April 3, 2009

Minor Updates

Not a ton going on right now, I suppose. Did all my pushups this morning for a total of 92 (26, 24, 22, 20). I'm still having trouble getting all of them in one go for each set, so I may repeat this week again and see if I do any better by the end of it. I'm definitely feeling them, which is always a good sign. My knee seems to have healed up nicely, so I may go try to ride the stationary bike tomorrow morning. We'll see.

Here's my next project: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_joint

I want to make small wooden boxes with these joints on the corners. I'd also like to set etched glass into the top, and line them with something. I don't know. I just thought it would be a neat project. I may also make a larger box like this for rolling dice when camping. I think that would be pretty cool and sufficiently geeky.

We made enchiladas last night with some mild red sauce and they were pretty good. I think we both prefer the green, so we'll probably do that from now on. We just need to find a brand that's nice and mild. My mother-in-law (or as I like to call her, my secondary maternal unit) said that she tried my recipe and it turned out well. She normally does a bunch of other fancy stuff to hers that makes it taste better (fries each tortilla to soften it before wrapping it around the chicken, adds veggies, etc) but she told me mine was still good and quite a bit faster to make. I'll have to try softening up the tortillas in a skillet sometime, because that does sound really good. Still, I always love to hear when people try stuff I post on here. Makes me feel like I'm doing a public service or something.

7 comments:

  1. Your very existence is a public service my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you've gone and made me blush. You may also have roused Jenna's unreasoning, murderous jealousy. I'll miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo, ready for more unsolicited recipe advice? You can make your own green chili super easily to top enchiladas. And you can control the heat, making it perfect. Here's the no-cook version for enchiladas:

    1 med onion, diced
    1 large can diced tomatoes
    1 large or 3 small cans mild green chiles (fire roasted if you can find them, Hatch is the best brand)
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 t ground cumin
    1 t salt (or to taste)

    Put them all in the blender and whir until smooth. You can warm it slightly and dip your tortillas in before rolling to soften them up and add flavor without fat. Then smother your enchiladas per usual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's an involved recipe involving fresh produce, diced fatty pork, etc, but for enchiladas, I think it's unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you control the heat? Add fewer green chiles? I'm thinking I'd need something else to put in there to replace them, since I may put one can, but certainly not two or three.

    I could also get one of those cans that's like tomatoes, onions and green chiles already all mixed together, then just toss that in the blender with some garlic and salt. I'm all for minimal work, as you've no doubt noticed. Thanks for the help, though! I'm enjoying my oven-steak on a regular basis now. I also made some oven hamburgers that were very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The "mild" chiles have ZERO heat. You can amp up the heat by adding one or two "hot" chiles. Rotel is the canned stuff you're talking about. It'll do in a pinch. They, too, have mild. They're a little tomato-intensive for a green chili, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's fair. I'll have to see if I can make something tasty without too much trouble. I think it sounds like I can, though. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete