Thursday, February 5, 2009

If I were ethnic, I would call it carnitas. For me, it's vaguely spicy shredded pork.

Another food-type substance for all you folks at home. I've got another simple, no-measuring type of recipe. I do love making a complete dinner without having to dirty a single measuring implement, don't you?

This is another food that makes use of one of my favorite kitchen tools: the slow cooker. You'll notice a theme here, and it involves me not having to do much in the way of cooking when I'm cooking. If you've been reading this blog faithfully (and why wouldn't you be?) you will see that I made a post about a BBQ-esque pork product. This is based off of a very similar principle, so you'll get some repetition in here.

You need a sack o' pork to start with. I like the 'pork tenderloin' in the plastic sleeve thingy you can get at the grocery store. It's cheap, tender, and works well in my one quart crock. Grab one of these wiley devils.

You also need seasonings. I'm a fan of garlic, Lowry's seasoned salt and green Tabasco. The green Tabasco isn't as hot as the red, and that's good for me, considering that my tongue is about as tough as wet, single-ply toilet paper. It also has a really good flavor to it. If you haven't tried it before, do yourself a flavor and give it a go. I totally just said flavor instead of favor, didn't I? Entirely unintentional, I assure you. In any case, this is pretty much it for seasonings.

Like with the BBQ, you can use an optional half can of chicken broth. It works better in this recipe than the BBQ one, so I do tend to use it here.

Okay, drop your pork in your slow cooker, pour in your broth, and sprinkle on your garlic powder (or real garlic if you're willing to spend more than 5 minutes preparing dinner) and your seasoned salt in pretty reasonable quantities. You're not going for full coverage here, but you'll want a fair bit of this in the mix when this piggy's cooking. Now, go to freakin' town on the green Tabasco. I think I use probably a quarter to half a bottle on this every time I make this for dinner. This part is up to you, but I tend towards heavy coverage. That doesn't mean tabasco on every visible piece of meat, but it does mean a pretty thorough splotching. First off, the stuff isn't all that spicy, so you're not going to blow the top of your head off with it, no matter what you do. Second, you're going to have a lot of liquid in here, and this stuff will get pretty well diluted in the juices when the moisture starts moving around. Use your judgement. You can always start light and add more later if you want.

Really open this baby up and let it ride at low for 8 hours (or 4 hours on high) with a flip and reapplication in the middle. Again, you can just get both sides when you put it in there the first time if this isn't an option. Take your two forks to it, getting it shredded pretty finely. It'll be really tender, so you shouldn't have any problems with it. Now, you can throw some more seasonings and Tabasco in (if you want). Either way, stir it all up in the bottom and let it go for another 20 minutes or so. You can take this time to warm up some taco shells in the oven, or steam some tortillas for burritos (a rice cooker will often have plenty of space left in the top for you to put a couple tortillas after the rice is mostly done cooking, and the steam will get them nice and soft, just like at Chipotle or whatever), or put some cheese on some chips in preparation for nachos. Really, any vaguely Mexican food that requires meat will work with this stuff. I once dropped little bits of this into egg roll wrappers and deep fried them, giving me tiny chimichangas. Delicious!

That's the whole thing! Super easy. Use forks or tongs to serve, and shake some of the excess juice out of it. It'll be pretty slippery, but the extra juiciness goes extremely well with crunchy taco shells or tortilla chips or whatever. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment